LifeStraw® is an award-winning point-of-use portable water filter that transforms microbiologically contaminated water into safe, clean drinking water. It is ideal for a variety of users outside of the home, from hikers and campers to people displaced by natural disasters.
- Lightweight--only 56 grams (or 2 ounces)
- Uses hollow fibre microfiltration technology
- Purifies a minimum of 1000 litres (264 gallons) of water
- Removes virtually all bacteria (99.9999 percent) and protozoan parasites (99.9 percent) that can contaminate water, including giardia
- Reduces turbidity (muddiness) by filtering particulate matter larger than 0.2 microns
- Made of durable plastic
- Doesn’t require electrical power, batteries or replacement parts–it’s powered by user-generated suction
- Since introduced in 2005, LifeStraw® has been used in major natural disasters including the Haiti earthquake and Pakistan floods.
- When contaminated water is consumed, the outcome can range from gastrointestinal discomfort to serious diarrheal illness or life-threatening disease.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control, during water-related emergencies, the quality and safety of water can be compromised. Water-related emergencies can be created by natural disasters such as earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, and landslides.
LifeStraw® uses advanced hollow fiber technology. This is a highly efficient method of filtration. Hollow fibre membrane requires no chemicals like chlorine or iodine.
1. Water enters and is forced through narrow fibers under high pressure.
2. Hollow fibers trap bacteria, protozoa, and other contaminants which are flushed out by backwashing.
3. Clean water exits through tiny pores in the walls of the hollow fibers.
4. Filtered water is safe to drink.
- Anyone who can use a drinking straw can use a LifeStraw®. Simply draw the unfiltered water through the LifeStraw®, blow air back through the straw to flush and clear it after drinking.
- Uses advanced hollow fiber technology
- Removes waterborne bacteria and protozoan parasites
- Reduces turbidity (muddiness)
- Treats 1000 litres, enough for one person for a full year
- Doesn’t use any chemicals
- Raw materials meet US Food and Drug Administration regulations and standards
- Easy to operate
- Requires no electrical power, batteries or replacement parts
- 22.5 centimeters (nine inches) long and 2.5 centimeters (one inch) in diameter
- Weighs only 56 grams or 2 ounces (0.12 pounds)
- US Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA): Rigorous laboratory testing conducted by the University of Arizona found that LifeStraw®'s performance exceeded U.S. EPA water filteration requirements for bacteria and parasites, including Escherichia coli, Cryptosporidium, Giardia lamblia, and other waterborne pathogens.
- LifeStraw® water filters have been distributed in many countries worldwide. Vestergaard makes every attempt to ensure that local standards and country-specific certifications are met. For inquiries about LifeStraw® registration, certification and testing for a particular country, or for full copies of any of the studies/certifications listed below, please contact us.
- Study: Evaluation of Vestergaard's hollow fiber LifeStraw® for the removal of Escherichia Coli and Cryptosporidium according to the US Environmental Protection Agency guide standard and protocol for evaluation of microbiological water purifiers, 2010.
- Institution/Authors: Department of Soil, Water and Environmental Science, University of Arizona. Naranjo, J. and Gerba, C.P.
- Outcome: Longevity of LifeStraw® was successfully assessed in laboratory conditions (harsher conditions than what is required by the EPA in terms of turbidity and organic matter), up to 1600L (approximately 160% of design life).
- Antimicroial Efficacy: LifeStraw® was successfully assessed in the same laboratory conditions (EPA 1987 protocol for microbiological water purifiers testing) and showed that LifeStraw® meets the EPA requirements of LOG 6 reduction for bacteria and LOG 3 reduction for protozoan parasites